Monday, April 27, 2020

Week 6: Brass Family, Sousa, and Parades!

Happy Monday! 

I hope you are all doing well and staying healthy! I have to admit, I've been a bit lax on the chores this week. My sister introduced me to a new series and I have been devouring it. It's making me remember summers when I was growing up. Some days, I'd start a book and not stop till I'd finished it! I've always been a book worm. I hope you are finding ways to enjoy these last few weeks. 
That's one of the reasons Mrs Zimmermann and I wanted to try something a bit different this week. Hopefully, all your scholars can work together and come up with something fun for their parade. I'm at a loss for what to do with mine....maybe I'll uses my books...it's either that or pull from the spice rack! haha😄


Usually, in class I'm able to talk about Louis Armstrong and highlight the trumpet. If you find yourself in need of a pick me up, check out his music. My favorite is when he teams up with Ella Fitzgerald. 😍 I've included a link to my *very short* playlist of the few songs I usually find a way to work into music class. I hope these activities have been bringing joy to your families. And thank you to the ones who have humored me and sent me video clips of the kids singing or dancing around.

This week, Mrs Zimmermann and I are teaming up. We wanted to do an activity that the whole family could do together! 
First, a few notes on the Brass Family:
  • They are made of metal (brass)
  • They are played by using a mouthpiece and buzzing air through your lips
Activity 2: Create your own parade with your family! It can be:
  •  A drawing you all do together of what your parade would look like
  • A photo/video clip of your family having a parade around your house (don't forget your pets!)
  • A picture of items you have at home lined up like a parade (legos, stuffed animals, books, coffee mugs, action figures, etc.) The idea is to have fun with it and be creative. 
  • Stay tuned! Some teachers may be sharing their parades with you too!


Optional Resources


American Composers Coloring Sheets

Brass Family Coloring Page

Louie and Ella Spotify Playlist