Saturday, April 6, 2019

Congratulations!

I wanted to thank everyone for coming out on Thursday night to support our scholars. They have been working hard to bring you such a dynamic program. It was so amazing for me to be able to step back and let them do their thing. This year the idea of independence has really been in the forefront of my mind. I remember telling some of the second graders at the beginning of the year that I wanted them to really take responsibility for their learning. They are my oldest students and I want to give them the opportunity to really take hold of what they are learning. I told them how awesome it would be if by the end of the year, they could come to music class and run the whole thing without me.

Needless to say, they liked that idea.

I am continually amazed at how quickly they can learn things when they set their minds to do it.
We have spent a lot of time talking about perseverance, and doing our best. When things gets hard, that's when we need perseverance to keep going. Because of their efforts and engagement in our day-to-day lessons, they were able to apply so many musical concepts and bring them to life in their performance.

I also have loved being able to give them the "tools" to incorporate music into their play. Teaching these games and then seeing them dance and sing as I walk through the playground has become one of my favorite things.

Have a great weekend!